[KyOSS Discuss] Git workshop: part deux

Jeff Squyres jeff at squyres.com
Sun Dec 2 14:27:09 EST 2012

Agreed: copyright and license - regardless of what you feel about
intellectual property law - is important. It is the law, even if you don't
like it.

The 2 open source projects I'm involved with have explicit BSD licenses and
require committers to sign an apache-like contribution agreement (i.e.,
agree to releasing their code under the BSD license).

Here in corporate programming culture, we get drilled on open source,
licensing, etc. my company acquired a company a few years ago that made a
GPL blunder (hint: it rhymes with shminksys). My company now makes
absolutely sure that all engineers are trained - and periodically
re-trained, so they don't forget - about including open source code in our
products. Sometimes it's ok. Sometimes it's not.

Sent from my phone. No type good.