[KyOSS Discuss] Question about working with GIT from several locations

Chris Rockwell chris at chrisrockwell.com
Mon Dec 17 15:59:02 EST 2012

Thanks Jeff.  I'll continue thinking about what should be the main hub.  I
do have a server at the office that is the exact same set-up as our
production server which could be used.  I also found this:
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Basics-Working-with-Remotes which seems to
be a pretty nice reference overall.

Thanks again!

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jeff Squyres <jeff at squyres.com> wrote:

> I would not setup your production as the main hub, if possible.  If you've
> got another 24/7 kind of server around, you should use that are your main
> git hub.
>
> Then you can push/pull to that main git hub from any of your sites without
> affecting (potentially) production.
>
> But yes, you can push between clones, too.  Hub-n-spokes is the easiest
> topology to think about, but git is really more like a mesh -- any repo and
> push/pull to any other related repo.
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Chris Rockwell <chris at chrisrockwell.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm considering using git to manage my 9-5 sites.  I am thinking that the
>> production server should be set up as the main repo, and then I would need
>> to clone to 3 different places: office, main testing server, home.
>>
>> However, my main question is: if I am working on a branch at my office
>> that isn't quite ready, do I login to production, fetch (without merging)
>> from my office, and then do a pull from home to get a copy of the branch?
>> Or can I fetch between clones?
>>
>> --
>> Chris Rockwell

> {+} Jeff Squyres