[KyOSS Discuss] Question about working with GIT from several locations

Jeff Squyres jeff at squyres.com
Mon Dec 17 16:00:50 EST 2012

I guess I should clarify my statement: your checked-out version that is
running in production should not be the main repo.  You could have the main
repo on the same server, though.

The main repo should be a "bare" repo; its sole purpose in life should be
to be the main hub (i.e., it's not checked out and no one works in it
directly).

Make sense?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Chris Rockwell <chris at chrisrockwell.com>wrote:

> Thanks Jeff.  I'll continue thinking about what should be the main hub.  I
> do have a server at the office that is the exact same set-up as our
> production server which could be used.  I also found this:
> http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Basics-Working-with-Remotes which seems to
> be a pretty nice reference overall.
>
> Thanks again!
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jeff Squyres <jeff at squyres.com> wrote:
>
>> I would not setup your production as the main hub, if possible.  If
>> you've got another 24/7 kind of server around, you should use that are your
>> main git hub.
>>
>> Then you can push/pull to that main git hub from any of your sites
>> without affecting (potentially) production.
>>
>> But yes, you can push between clones, too.  Hub-n-spokes is the easiest
>> topology to think about, but git is really more like a mesh -- any repo and
>> push/pull to any other related repo.
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Chris Rockwell <chris at chrisrockwell.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm considering using git to manage my 9-5 sites.  I am thinking that
>>> the production server should be set up as the main repo, and then I would
>>> need to clone to 3 different places: office, main testing server, home.
>>>
>>> However, my main question is: if I am working on a branch at my office
>>> that isn't quite ready, do I login to production, fetch (without merging)
>>> from my office, and then do a pull from home to get a copy of the branch?
>>> Or can I fetch between clones?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Rockwell

>> --