[KyOSS Discuss] Question about working with GIT from several locations

Chris Rockwell chris at chrisrockwell.com
Mon Dec 17 16:10:54 EST 2012

That does make sense, thank you.  I think I've decided my initial set-up
will have the main repo on the server in our offices, which would give me 4
copies all on different machines.  It seems a little daunting at first, but
I think if I'm very deliberate and get used to git diff and get status,
this will end up being a much more productive set-up than what I'm doing
now.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Squyres <jeff at squyres.com> wrote:

> I guess I should clarify my statement: your checked-out version that is
> running in production should not be the main repo.  You could have the main
> repo on the same server, though.
>
> The main repo should be a "bare" repo; its sole purpose in life should be
> to be the main hub (i.e., it's not checked out and no one works in it
> directly).
>
> Make sense?
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Chris Rockwell <chris at chrisrockwell.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jeff.  I'll continue thinking about what should be the main hub.
>> I do have a server at the office that is the exact same set-up as our
>> production server which could be used.  I also found this:
>> http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Basics-Working-with-Remotes which seems
>> to be a pretty nice reference overall.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jeff Squyres <jeff at squyres.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would not setup your production as the main hub, if possible.  If
>>> you've got another 24/7 kind of server around, you should use that are your
>>> main git hub.
>>>
>>> Then you can push/pull to that main git hub from any of your sites
>>> without affecting (potentially) production.
>>>
>>> But yes, you can push between clones, too.  Hub-n-spokes is the easiest
>>> topology to think about, but git is really more like a mesh -- any repo and
>>> push/pull to any other related repo.
>>>

>>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Chris Rockwell <chris at chrisrockwell.com

>>> --
>>> {+} Jeff Squyres