[KyOSS Discuss] Suggested discussion topic: IPv4 address exhaustion and IPv6 adoption

Jeff Squyres jeff at squyres.com
Mon Sep 17 10:51:10 EDT 2012

Yes, I believe you can have both (I'm not an expert in IPv6).

But I think the issue is that providers don't want to invest in building an
IPv6 infrastructure.  Despite the fact that IPv6 has been around for a
while, its feature set and tools ecosystem is not nearly as mature as IPv4.
 Hence, putting together a whole IPv6 provisioning and management system
might be a bit daunting (and expensive -- perhaps not in money, but perhaps
in time and resources).  Plus training all your people all the nuances for
IPv6.  And making sure that IPv6 works nicely between different vendor
equipment (we still have problems with this in the IPv4 world (!) -- there
will definitely be problems over in IPv6 land, too).  And so on...

{+} Jeff Squyres