[KyOSS Discuss] Suggested discussion topic: IPv4 address exhaustion and IPv6 adoption

Barton Chittenden bartonski at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:02:21 EDT 2012

I've been reading and thinking about it, and I think that the problem is
actually a little more pernicious. We all like to think about the internet
as a nice point to point network where everyone is connected to everyone
else. However, there are some significant interest groups who would like
the internet to be a broadcast network: A limited number of content
providers, and all the rest of the world as consumers. If all of the
world's end users are hidden behind some ISP's NAT, that is much more what
the world looks like... so you get no movement at the national or even
international level (because the lobbyists for Time Warner, Disney, MPAA
and all of the Telecoms are fighting against it), and you get no movement
at the ISP level, because of the investments required.

On the up side, I believe that Comcast is using IPv6 on their network
infrastructure. They provide IPv4 addresses to the customer, but a lot of
the other stuff is IPv6 (I don't really know what the 'other stuff'
consists of -- set top boxes? edge routers?).

What I can't figure out is why it isn't possible to have the IPv4 address
space be a subnet of IPv6... mark off a [tiny] section of the IPv6 address
space and say 'Ok, the lower 32 bits of this address space get sent off to
the old internet'.

Maybe that's the way it already works. I don't know.