[KyOSS Discuss] Suggested discussion topic: IPv4 address exhaustion and IPv6 adoption

Barton Chittenden bartonski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:58:37 EDT 2012

Yeah, IPv6 has a pretty strong SEP* field around it. Definitely needs some
good advocacy/lobbying.

* SEP field -- Somebody Else's Problem field, from Douglas Adams' *Life the
Universe and Everything*:

An SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us
see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem.... The brain just
edits it out, it's like a blind spot. If you look at it directly you won't
see it unless you know precisely what it is. Your only hope is to catch it
by surprise out of the corner of your eye.
The technology involved in making something properly invisible is so
mind-bogglingly complex that 999,999,999 times out of a billion it's
simpler just to take the thing away and do without it....... The "Somebody
Else's Problem field" is much simpler, more effective, and "can be run for
over a hundred years on a single torch battery."
This is because it relies on people's natural predisposition not to see
anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.