[KyOSS Discuss] We meet this Wednesday at 6:30 at LVL1!

John Hicks johnhicks at gulfbridge.net
Tue Jul 9 19:38:03 EDT 2013

On 07/09/2013 08:11 AM, Barton Chittenden wrote:
> I'm not totally against talking about WSGI, but it would definitely be
> a learn as you go type of talk -- on my part. ;-)
>
> I'll see what I can't scrape together in 24 hours.

Barton, whatever you talk about is always useful and interesting. If
you've made any headway in implementing editserver.psgi, that would be
good to hear about. Or the technologies mentioned by Mike (perl dancer,
ruby sinatra, python flask). But we can always fall back and talk about
cli commands and utilities. I'm always learning something new about bash
or gnu that is so basic that I kick myself for not knowing it for the
past 15 years. (Or, even worse, for possibly knowing it at one time and
forgetting it.)

Eric's suggestion regarding BitTorrent Sync sounds very interesting.
I'll try to explore that myself, but my knowledge of BitTorrent is
meager to start with, so I doubt if I will make much headway by tomorrow
night.

And we could talk some PHP. I've been busy recently on a web application
for a client, and, as usual, have been trying to avoid frameworks,
ready-made packages, object orientation, patterns, architectures, etc.,
but at the same time have grasping for that elusive "perfect" framework
or architecture. The result so far might be called "array oriented
programming". I hope to develop it into a generic CRUD utility where the
relevant files are defined in an exterior data dictionary, which for now
is a set of associative arrays. It's not ready for a formal
presentation, but I can talk a bit about it and show the basic
architecture if anyone is interested.

I hereby repent for not taking more leadership in planning ahead for our
meetings recently. The Snowden/NSA Affair has now sensitized me to the
fact that we have an important mission, and that mission is more
critical now than ever. So planning good meetings on relevant topics has
risen on my priority list. I'll elaborate more on this in the coming
days. Or we can talk about it tomorrow night. :)

Any other topics for discussion?

John