[KyOSS Discuss] Guacamole -- VNC/RDP gateway with pure Javascript/HTML5 client.

Barton Chittenden bartonski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 01:03:43 EDT 2013

http://guac-dev.org/

Guacamole has a server which implements the guacamole protocol. The
guacamole protocol is capable of encapsulating VNC or RDP connections in a
stream which can be played in a pure Javascript/HTML 5 client on any modern
web browser.

The server is written in Java and can run in a web container like Tomcat.

... oh yeah. it can also act as an SSH server.

Basically, what this means is that if you put a Guacamole server somewhere
on a network with machines that you want to VNC/RDP or SSH in to, you can
establish connections to any of them through a web browser.

I didn't see whether or not they support SSH port forwarding and/or X
forwarding ... that would be significantly sexy if they did.

This stuff is still beta -- the only fully supported authentication
mechanism is MySQL (?!!).

Still, I think this is an interesting enough project to keep an eye on.

--Barton