[KyOSS Discuss] Need help with permissions on, <gasp>windows</gasp>

Chris Rockwell chris at chrisrockwell.com
Fri Jul 19 14:50:27 EDT 2013

Hey all,

I'm working on a windows machine at the office and I've got an issue with
permissions on programmatically created directories.

I've posed the question on superuser here: http://goo.gl/Nu3nz, and copied
it below.  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

A little background first: I'm doing some Drupal site-building on a Windows
7 machine. Drupal has an image module which, in short, allows for image
caching. When you create an image style, the module creates a directory.
For instance, if you create a style my_image_style it will automatically
create a folder
sites/default/files/img/styles/my_image_style/and/some/other/folders/beneath.
However, the created directory has the owner:group Administrators:System with
permission d--------+. Everything else, going all the way up to root is
chrisrockwell:None. Apache (this is a WAMP5 setup) is also
chrisrockwell:None.

The Drupal module needs to create files in this directory, but cannot
because of the permissions issue.

So, in this set-up, how to I specify what user:group a created directory
belongs to?

I'm not sure if it has an effect, but I do mostly everything within cygwin
(moving around, opening, vim).

Please let me know if you need additional information, or if this is better
suited in another site.

Chris Rockwell