[KyOSS Discuss] Head crash... fatal?

Britt Dodd brittman914 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 09:02:41 EDT 2013

I agree --- ddrescue saved my butt dozens of times, and helped me save
customer's data on many occasions. The *very* first thing I do when working
on any volume that isn't 100% reliable (or its condition is unknown) I
utilize ddrescue (even if the drive is healthy) to make a IMG file. That
way if dd finds a problem, ddrescue can start working its magic without me
starting over.

I'd totally make a full-disk image file of the ext3 partition first, then
put the drive away. Then i'd try to restore the data on that img file,
hopefully yielding pictures.