[KyOSS Discuss] This Wednesday's meeting: Troubleshooting... and what other topics?

John Hicks johnhicks at kyoss.org
Mon May 6 00:49:06 EDT 2013

Well, what d'ya know!! It sure looks like this Wednesday is our monthly
meeting already!  (...at 6:30 p.m. at LVL1, 814-Rear E. Broadway).

So let's be discussing what stimulating subjects we'll be discussing
Wednesday night!

--Barton has suggested "*troubleshooting*" in its various forms (old
routers, crashed hard disks, etc.) and, I believe, will be leading a
discussion on that topic. (I still haven't figure out what caused the
problems with my firm's (and KyOSS's) Ubuntu server, so maybe we'll make
troubleshooting that a field exercise ... via ssh.)

--I believe Joe Mackey is planning to make a short (15-minute)
presentation on *Raspberry Pi*, particularly on its uses in education.
This will be a trial run for something he's planning for MOSSCon.

--And another member is mulling over doing a presentation. We'll know
more tomorrow.

What else is on your minds these days? (Computing-wise, I mean.)

--John

PS. If you haven't registered <http://mosscon.org/register> for KyOSS's
very own MOSSCon <http://mosscon.org/> yet, do it now. Just /four more
days/ of early-bird registration <http://mosscon.org/register>! Only$25
for two full days <http://mosscon.org/program/session-schedule> of mind
stretching! (v. $50 at the door!)

Clipped from the news:

    *Mozilla*furious as disguised spyware used against pro-democracy
    activists
    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/10032822/Mozilla-furious-as-disguised-spyware-used-against-pro-democracy-activists.html>

Telegraph.co.uk 	 -?May 3, 2013?

*Mozilla*announced yesterday it had sent a cease and desist letter to
Gamma International, "demanding that these illegal practices stop
immediately" and referring to the use of Firefox's brand and trademarks
to trick users into downloading Finfisher as*...*

    Wikipedia dumps MySQL, hooks up with MariaDB
    <http://www.infoworld.com/t/open-source-software/wikipedia-dumps-mysql-hooks-mariadb-217820>

InfoWorld
May 3, 2013

<https://plus.google.com/117543614012474733284/posts>
Written by
Serdar Yegulalp <https://plus.google.com/117543614012474733284/posts>

MariaDB, the community-developed edition of the*open source*MySQL
database now under Oracle's thumb, will become the database software
that drives Wikipedia.

    Red Hat's Gluster community adds new*open*-*source*projects
    <http://www.zdnet.com/red-hats-gluster-community-adds-new-open-source-projects-7000014791/>

ZDNet
May 2, 2013

<https://plus.google.com/113169713749496726739/posts>
Written by
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
<https://plus.google.com/113169713749496726739/posts>

Red Hat's Gluster community adds new*open*-*source*projects. Summary:
Red Hat's Gluster*open*-*source*community has been all about its
namesake, the GlusterFS, but now it's expanding to cover
other*open*-*source*, software-defined storage technologies.

    The*Linux*desktop is already the new normal
    <http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source-software/the-linux-desktop-already-the-new-normal-217818>

InfoWorld (blog)
May 3, 2013

<https://plus.google.com/104284466618076664967/posts>
Written by
Simon Phipps <https://plus.google.com/104284466618076664967/posts>

A debate is smoldering yet again in the*Linux*community as prominent
figures debate whether it's time to give up hope on the "year of
the*Linux*desktop" ever coming or whether the advent of Android is
actually its fulfillment. Problem is, it came and*...*

    The new Debian*Linux*7.0 is now available
    <http://www.zdnet.com/the-new-debian-linux-7-0-is-now-available-7000014911/>

ZDNet
10 hours ago

<https://plus.google.com/113169713749496726739/posts>
Written by
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
<https://plus.google.com/113169713749496726739/posts>

important core*Linux*distributions, has a new release: Wheezy.

    Google and Adobe beautify fonts on*Linux*, iOS
    <http://www.pcworld.com/article/2037506/google-and-adobe-beautify-fonts-on-linux-ios.html>

PCWorld 	 -?May 3, 2013?

Users of Android, Chrome OS,*Linux*, and iOS devices may not realize it,
but FreeType open source software is used to render fonts on more than a
billion such devices.

**

    6 Things You May Not Know About*Open Data*- Government Technology
    <http://www.govtech.com/e-government/6-Things-You-May-Not-Know-About-Open-Data.html>

Government Technology 	 -?May 3, 2013?

The*open data*movement is gaining momentum in the public sector. But
while buzzwords like "*open data*" and "big data" are becoming
commonplace, some uncertainties persist about what*open data*really
means and its benefits the public. So on Friday, May*...*

    *Open*Agricultural*Data*at Your Fingertips
    <http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/04/30/open-agricultural-data-at-your-fingertips/>

USDA.gov (press release) (blog) 	 -?Apr 30, 2013?

This will serve as a single access point for our related datasets,
databases, tools, apps and data resources discussed throughout the
G-8*Open Data*for Agriculture conference. This effort supports our USDA
Digital Strategy efforts to ensure high-value*...*