[KyOSS Discuss] Notes from trouble-shooting talk
bartonski at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:11:08 EDT 2013
Trouble shooting 90% about figuring out what's going on, and 10% about
fixing the problem.
0) Take notes.
1) Read the man pages.
2) Simplify the problem.
3) Read the logs, capture error messages.
4) Google is your friend.
- Bug trackers:
- Ubuntu Launchpad
- Fedora Bugzilla
- Debian reportbug (apt-get install reportbug)
- Github issue tracker
- CPAN RT (Request Tracker)
5) Stack Exchange is your friend.
- State your problem clearly
- Show your work (you were taking notes, right?)
6) IRC/Xchat irc.freenode.net
7) Mailing lists -- direct developer access.
Simon Tatham's bug reporting site:
Stack Overflow's 'how to ask good questions' page:
Google's 'tips for getting help with your site':
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the KyOSS-Discuss