[KyOSS Discuss] Idea for a meeting format

alan blount alan at zeroasterisk.com
Tue May 28 13:50:58 EDT 2013

Sounds like a mini-hackathon....  I think your goal should be a bit more
complex though.

Perhaps:
http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/java/threads/312238/how-to-determine-the-nth-fibonacci-number

Or perhaps:
"parse various name formats into first/last name"

Or perhaps one of my interview questions:
"using no core randomization functionally, except for this one dice()
function which gives you a random int 1-6, create a bigdice() function
which gives a random int 1-100... graded on even distribution and
reasonable runtime"
https://gist.github.com/zeroasterisk/3e6a03798586d228992c

Are you going to award prizes for:

   - Least amount of handwritten code
   - Most readable handwritten code
   - Fastest running code
   - Most portable (least dependencies, easiest to run anywhere)
   - Task done first (least amount of time to implement)
   - Accurate Results (multiple winners)

And looser prizes (most improve-able)

   - Most dependencies
   - Slowest running code
   - Breakable (can we break it? - multiple winners)
   - Inaccurate Results (multiple winners)

That way, like a costume contest, you don't go in trying to win all of
them, you focus on one or two and try for those.

I'll not be here for June, so I'd wish you didn't do this till July, but
carry on.

thx,
-alan