[KyOSS Discuss] Thoughts on fast reliable internet.

Barton Chittenden bartonski at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 15:17:53 EST 2013

Those of you who follow me on Google+ will know that I'm in the process of
changing jobs. I quit Appriss last Thursday, and I'm starting work at ByWater
Solutions <http://bywatersolutions.com/about-us/> on Wednesday.

The new job is going to be entirely work from home, so I need fast reliable
internet*. This presents a couple of challenges:

   1. The cable box and wireless router are in a loft, my office is on the
   ground floor down a hallway. Wireless connection drops when I download a
   large file.
   2. Time Warner isn't hugely reliable. They're ok, mostly, but I've had
   at least a couple of multiple hour  outages in the last 6 months... and
   there may have been more that I didn't notice, because I wasn't at home.

In terms of routing internet through the home, I think that power-line
networking seems to be the lowest hassle and seems reasonably fast, as long
as there aren't too many end points. I don't know about the reliability
though... otherwise, I'll have to run cat5 down to the office, and my wife
definitely isn't going to go for running cable across walls and such. It
looks like bluegrass.net will do this, although I have a feeling that an
electrician would also be able to do the job.

In terms of ISP, here are my thoughts:

I really don't like Time Warner -- i have the constant impression that
they're dicking over anyone who doesn't know better than to pay for their
own cable modem and wireless router, and will do the same to anyone else
that they get the chance to. I would leave them if I had any comparable
options.

BellSouth or AT&T supposedly ran fiber down our street -- at least someone
buried a bigass box in the neighbor's yard about 8 years ago, and ran
something to it underground -- I heard that it was fiber optic, but it
could be a banana cream conduit for all I know. It might as well be banana
cream, because we can't get anything other than 8 megabit DSL.

I checked out Bluegrass.net's cable prices; they run $239/mo for a 20Mbps
connection (which is what I currently have with Time warner). This is
a "small business element" according to Bluegrass.net. I presume that this
runs across Time Warner's network; as such, I don't know how much more
reliable it would be. The extra few $ a month that I spent might get me
back up and running more quickly ... I just don't know if I would be paying
for anything other than shiboleet <http://xkcd.com/806/> access.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

--Barton

*technically, I probably don't need the fastest residential internet that
money can buy, but the company is paying for it, so I would like to get
something good and zippy as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.