[KyOSS Discuss] Thoughts on fast reliable internet.

Michael bigoldv8 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 17:21:57 EST 2013

Been working from home full time since Y2K.  Started out with DSL in
Lexington, had it for a year here in Louisville but had to drop it when
my house, which hasn't moved in 60+ years, was suddenly "too far away
from the switch box" and they couldn't fix it.  Brilliant.  Been on
Insight and now Time Warner 10 mb cable ever since.  There have been a
few outages lately, but for the most part it's been really stable for
the last 9 years.  Two of us use this for full time work with various
VPNs, GUI traffic, desktop sharing, Outlook/Lotus mail, etc and the only
time it's problematic is huge downloads or uploads - which we rarely do.
AT&T has tried to push U-verse on us but I've thus far refused, and now
I'm really irritated with them because they continue to knock on our
door and act like they've never been to our house before.  I'm not the
biggest fan of the cable company either, but it works for us and has for
quite a while.  My opinion may sour if they start messing around with
our bill.

I would say don't overdo it.  You'd be better off to stick with
something simple and maybe see if they will pay for a back up method -
such as a 4G access point.  Neither of our companies pays for our
internet any more, but mine gave me a Verizon 4g device last year which
I only use when traveling or when the cable is down.  It's noticeably
slower than the cable on heavy work but still reliable and gets the job
done.  I would definitely suggest a physical connection of some sort for
your main line.  I ran CAT5e around the house just because it's so much
more stable and consistent which is necessary for full time work.  Can
you relocate the cable modem and router to make that easier?

-Mike