[KyOSS Discuss] Thoughts on fast reliable internet.

Jeff Squyres jeff at squyres.com
Sun Nov 10 17:37:37 EST 2013

Also in the "FWIW" category...

I've been telecommuting for ~13 years; you *have* to have a physical space
that is 100% dedicated to your job (don't try to put home stuff in there).

I'm in Time Warner country.  I don't use huge amounts of bandwidth -- most
of my traffic is interactive ssh stuff + email + web surfing, but I have
periodic large file transfers.  So I have a 20Mb downstream plan, and it
serves me well.  Insight/TWC is very reliable in my neighborhood; I've had
no complaints.  But I've seen that that is a very
neighborhood-by-neighborhood type of issue.

I +1 on the suggestion of: keep it simple.  And that includes good
networking.  If you have a crappy wifi router, then either get a better one
or run wired ethernet into the office (which may include relocating your
modem/router/whatever).  Case in point: I run wired ethernet from my work
VPN hardware into my office so that I have uninterrupted, perfect network
connectivity that I just don't have to worry about.

{+} Jeff Squyres