[KyOSS Discuss] This is a new one to me....

Charles Griffin cegrif01 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 19:03:27 EST 2013

Composer has a dual purpose.  It's not just a dependency manager (and a
damn good one at that), it has a built in class map autoloader (for normal
autoloading) as well as a psr-0 autoloader (for building packages).
Composer works with packagist.org and making a composer package is actually
quite simple mainly due to it's psr-0 specific autoloader.  The best part
is that It's extremely easy to work with.  When there's a problem, it
actually tells you in plain English what your options are to fix that
problem.

I have a little experience with rubygems, but not enough to say which one
is better.  From what I've experienced they are both (rubygems and
composer) on par with one another.  But I will say that the errors that
rubygems produced hurt my head a little, but I could eventually figure out
the problem.  What I really appreciate about php is how quickly they've
bridged the gap between versions 5.2 and 5.5.  Composer and packagist had a
lot to do with this transition.  I'm actually not embarrassed any more when
I tell people I'm a php developer, although we still have a lot of catching
up to do.

Charles