[KyOSS Discuss] Wednesday's meeting: Test-Driven Devlopment (TDD) and other wonders

Charles Griffin cegrif01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 17:17:32 EDT 2013

I'm debating on whether to show the group testing in Laravel or just plain
ol' php from scratch.  Alan, if you're going to whip out CakePHP, I'd be
super excited to show testing in Laravel so that everyone (including
myself) can see the differences.  I'm currently working on a financial
application in Laravel that is full of unit tests so I naturally would
rather show Laravel, but the testing process is exactly the same whether
you start with or without a framework.

I can also hit a little on the subject of mocking and dependency injection,
but I will probably just talk about the concepts and what they mean and
save those topics for a series of testing discussions.

The one thing I would like for the group to get out of the TDD discussions
is that it really doesn't matter if it's php, java, or even something a
little less common like lua.  Testing is testing.  If you're a developer in
a different language, don't get discouraged by the fact that there may not
be a good testing framework (like phpunit).  It's actually quite easy to
spin your own basic methods for testing.

Charles