[KyOSS Discuss] Unit Testing / TDD Resources

Eric Lathrop eric at ericlathrop.com
Wed Oct 9 23:52:46 EDT 2013

I just wanted to pass along some links to good information about testing.

Some background on unit testing, and the xUnit pattern that most testing
frameworks use:
http://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/Xunit.html

The Art of Unit Testing <http://www.manning.com/osherove/> is a really
good book to get you started. Although the examples are all .NET, the
book goes into great detail on all the grey-areas. The author presents
good rules of thumb, and even talks about how to integrate testing into
a team.

Working Effectively with Legacy Code
<http://www.amazon.com/Working-Effectively-Legacy-Michael-Feathers/dp/0131177052>
discusses how to implement testing on a legacy codebase that currently
has no tests. It discusses how to break dependencies in an application
to make testing possible.

Growing Object-Oriented Software Guided by Tests
<http://www.growing-object-oriented-software.com/> talks a about how to
implement a successful TDD workflow on a large project. I haven't read
it yet, but it's next on my list, and has been recommended to me by
multiple people.