[KyOSS Discuss] Just discovered vagrant, puppet, and puphpet

alan blount alan at zeroasterisk.com
Mon Jun 2 17:08:14 EDT 2014

I agree that puppet is (imo) unnecessarily complicated, esp. when doing
anything beyond basic (replacements with config files via augues, etc)... I
understand a lot of the choices made in puppet, and it's a LOT better than
manual management or relying on initial machine images for everything...
but it could be a lot simpler.

I'm looking forward to docker, but have done little w/ it so far... it
creates higher orders of isolation such that you don't need the power of
puppet, instead you are just doing exactly what you want on your base OS
layer.

vagrant is awesome... but we use puppet, mostly because we were already
using it for production.

Thanks,
-alan