[KyOSS Discuss] zsh: best of bash, csh, and tcsh

Jeff Squyres jeff at squyres.com
Thu Jun 12 08:13:24 EDT 2014

Last night, I showed about 5 minutes of zsh.  zsh is basically the best
things you like about bash, csh, and tcsh all rolled into one.  zsh is part
of most major distros these days -- it's even part of OS X:

    http://www.zsh.org/

I also use "zprezto" -- a set of macros and plugins for zsh that instantly
makes zsh 38% more awesome:

     https://github.com/sorin-ionescu/prezto

This gives me stuff like the git branch and icons that you saw last night
when I cd into a directory that is a git clone.  For example:

-----
[8:10] JSQUYRES-M-504A:~ ❯❯❯ cd git/cisco/ompi-usnic
[8:11] JSQUYRES-M-504A:~/g/c/ompi-usnic git:usnic-v1.6 ❯❯❯ git checkout
usnic-v1.8
Checking out files: 100% (7456/7456), done.
Branch usnic-v1.8 set up to track remote branch usnic-v1.8 from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'usnic-v1.8'
[8:11] JSQUYRES-M-504A:~/g/c/ompi-usnic git:usnic-v1.8 ❯❯❯
-----

​Note that the prompt changed automatically a) when I cd'ed into the tree,
and b) when I checked out a different branch.​

I also love the abbreviated directory that it puts in my prompt -- it
shortens each subdir up to the current directory to just 1 letter.  So it
still gives you a visual cue of how far away from ~ I am, but it doesn't
necessarily represent the full path length.

​zsh+zprezto is yummy.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres