[KyOSS Discuss] From Last Month - Percona ~ MySQL 5.6

alan blount alan at zeroasterisk.com
Thu Jun 12 09:34:39 EDT 2014

I just talked w/ someone who reminded me about the MySQL drop-in
replacement database I recommended last month.

Percona - now at parity with MySQL 5.6:
http://www.percona.com/software/percona-server/ps-5.6

It basically "fixes" MySQL clustering, so setting up multi-master
replication is easy.  You just have to have an odd number of nodes and tell
it to "go".

----------------

Don't need clustering, but working in the cloud?
Interested in "containers" (like docker.io)?

I think Rackspace's cloud MySQL instances are an interesting case study.

   - http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/databases/
   -
   http://www.rackspace.com/blog/container-based-virtualization-and-cpu-intensive-cloud-databases/
   -
   http://c1776742.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/downloads/pdfs/Rackspace-Cloud-Databases-and-Container-based-Virtualization.pdf

We don't use them at work, because they don't support replication, and I
just can't deal with possible downtime at an infrastructure level.... but
if you aren't clustering, they may be a reasonable option for you.  I also
like seeing "real world" container deployments on this scale (since I'm
considering it).

Other databases I use/discussed:

   - http://redis.io/ (memcache, key/value, concurrant)
   - http://www.elasticsearch.org/ (text search, lucene,