[KyOSS Discuss] Docker Swarm

Jeff Squyres jeff at squyres.com
Fri Apr 24 18:43:32 EDT 2015

Containers are pretty cool, but I agree: they are not yet mature.  In
particular, the documentation about them is... lacking (don't be fooled:
"Docker" != "container").

In particular getting particular hardware support in a container is not yet
well understood.  One of my team members just posted a blog entry about
exposing our OS-bypass networking stuff in a container; it's "relatively
straightforward"... once you understand all the background.

His blog post is actually a decent intro to how containers work -- if you
care, here's a link:

    http://blogs.cisco.com/performance/usnic-inside-linux-containers

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Kendrick Coleman <kendrickcoleman at gmail.com
> wrote:

> CoreOS has the more mature technology of the two...if you could call any
> of it actually mature.
>
> Kenny
>
> Kendrick Coleman
> kendrickcoleman.com
> @KendrickColeman
> github.com/kacole2
>
> Pardon any typos... I'm mobile
>
> On Apr 24, 2015, at 5:44 PM, alan blount <alan at zeroasterisk.com> wrote:
>
> Yup - I read up on it and it looks interesting --- I agree Kendrick, not
> sure which solution to invest in.
>
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:57 PM Kendrick Coleman <
> kendrickcoleman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and the battle between CoreOS and Docker continues to grow!
>>
>> Kendrick Coleman
>>
>> kendrickcoleman.com
>> @KendrickColeman
>> github.com/kacole2
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Deven Phillips <
>> deven.phillips at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In case anyone missed it, Docker 1.6 was released this week and with it
>>> an new tool called "Docker Swarm". It is billed at native clustering for
>>> Docker containers. It allows you to coordinate docker hosts as if they were
>>> a single docker host and distribute containers across the cluster. It can
>>> also include a discovery service to help in locating running services
>>> inside of your cluster. Looks like a pretty cool addition and installing it
>>> is as simple as pulling the swarm container from the Docker Repo and
>>> starting it up with some options.
>>>
>>> Go ahead, give it a try!!
>>>
>>> https://docs.docker.com/swarm/
>>>
>>> Deven