[KyOSS Discuss] Windows Only BIOS Updates Getting You Down?
deven.phillips at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 09:47:56 EDT 2017
I needed to apply some BIOS updates to my Lenovo Y700, but those updates
can ONLY be run from a Win32 system... I don't even own a Windows CD/DVD.
Fortunately, I remembered that you can download a Windows VirtualBox image
from Microsoft for free:
If you download and import that VM, you can use qemu-img to convert it to
run from a thumb drive!!!
Here are the steps:
1. Download the Windows 10 Stable image for VirtualBox
2. Import the VM into VirtualBox BUT DO NOT RUN IT!!!
3. The virtual disk image can now be found in ~/ VirtualBox VMs/MSEdge -
4. Insert a >40GB thumb drive (I used a 64GB)
5. Use qemu-img to convert the VMDK file to a raw disk
1. qemu-img convert -p MSEdge\ -\ Win10_preview-disk1.vmdk -O raw
6. Once complete, insert the thumb drive into your machine and boot from
I hope this helps someone else!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the KyOSS-Discuss