[KyOSS Discuss] Windows Only BIOS Updates Getting You Down?

Deven Phillips deven.phillips at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 09:47:56 EDT 2017

I needed to apply some BIOS updates to my Lenovo Y700, but those updates
can ONLY be run from a Win32 system... I don't even own a Windows CD/DVD.

Fortunately, I remembered that you can download a Windows VirtualBox image
from Microsoft for free:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

If you download and import that VM, you can use qemu-img to convert it to
run from a thumb drive!!!

Here are the steps:

   1.  Download the Windows 10 Stable image for VirtualBox
   2. Import the VM into VirtualBox BUT DO NOT RUN IT!!!
   3. The virtual disk image can now be found in ~/ VirtualBox VMs/MSEdge -
   Win10_preview/
   4. Insert a >40GB thumb drive (I used a 64GB)
   5. Use qemu-img to convert the VMDK file to a raw disk
   1. qemu-img convert -p MSEdge\ -\ Win10_preview-disk1.vmdk -O raw
      /dev/sdX
   6. Once complete, insert the thumb drive into your machine and boot from
   it
   7. PROFIT!

I hope this helps someone else!

Deven